Salary £17,000 - £18,000 p.a (dependent on experience)
(Evening and weekend work will be required)
The Theatre Technician will work closely with the Senior Technician to deliver all technical aspects of the Theatre, from our varied recieved programme to our participation work. The role will be a key part of our 3 in-house produced productions per year, including our busy and well-reknowned Panto season.
The job is diverse and demands the usual degree of flexibility on hours, a high level of multi-tasking, organisation and lots of energy. We have a small team so we expect the Theatre Technician to have a good range of skills and understanding across Lighting, Sound, Video and Stage. We are looking for people who will shape the department and further develop our reputation for being one of the friendliest theatres in the country.
The Theatre Technician is responsible to the Producer & Senior Technician.
The working week is 35 hours, though this would be managed over the year with hours accumulated in busy periods and taken as TOIL in quieter periods. During our annual Pantomime the working week will increase to 46 hours per week.
It is anticipated that the post-holder will live within 45 minutes travelling distance of Chipping Norton and have use of independent transport.
The primary responsibilities are:
To be the representative of The Theatre at performances of visiting shows. Upholding The Theatre’s values and providing a warm welcome at all times.
To stage manage, and operate LX/Sound/Video for shows that require it.
Prepare for, and work get ins/get outs and to assist companies in rigging and focusing LX and/or sound equipment.
As required by the Senior Technician, liaise with the technical staff of visiting companies regarding technical requirements and discuss their needs and possible contras (additional staffing, equipment etc).
- Under the supervision of the Producer and Production Manager, to contribute to all technical aspects and requirements of The Theatre’s in-house productions.
- If appropriate for all parties, be involved in show transfers.
- Join the Production team for The Theatre’s in-house productions, including the annual pantomime, in an appropriate capacity. Please note that the production run of the pantomime can be between 8-9 weeks in length.
Upkeep and General Tasks
- Support the Senior Technician in the maintenance and safety of all backstage machinery, technical areas and dressing rooms, and the maintenance and upkeep of stage and lighting equipment.
- Support the Senior Technician in the control of stocks of necessary equipment within the technical department and arrange the hire of any equipment as required.
- As required by the Producer or Senior Technician, to oversee the work of external contractors carrying out works on-stage.
- To attend in-house training sessions and external courses or training initiatives relevant to the post.
- To liaise actively with Front of House staff to contribute to efficient and co-ordinated servicing of all shows.
- Act as a key holder for the building, including emergency call out (after probation).
- Any other duties that may be requested from time to time, including deputising for the senior technician.
- Work with the Senior Technician on creating the weekly rota in advance.
- Keep all of the stage/backstage areas tidy and clean including the technical office.
- Work as a team with the Senior Technician in all aspect of the technical department.
To apply please send a Cover Letter explaining why you are a good fit for the role along with a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org